|“||Lyrics just don't just flow out of me like a river after a rain of tears! Oh, that's good!||”|
"Kangaroos & Chaos" is the 2nd episode in Season 1 of Austin & Ally. It was first aired on Disney Channel, on December 4th, 2011. Taking place at least a month later than the events of Rockers & Writers, this episode is considered the official premiere of the series, while the former episode was considered the series pilot/preview. This episode premiered to 3.964 million viewers (US).
Ally scribbles down Austin's song lyrics in illegible handwriting, prompting Dez and Trish to start gathering strange props for the music video which they think correspond to her lyrics. After the odd collection of musical items begins arriving, they quickly work together to resolve the mix-up.
Episode SummaryAlly is yet to have written a new song for Austin for a whole month, causing people to forget who he is. People start confusing him for somebody named Ralphie Hayes from a famous dog food commercial. Soon, Austin, Trish, and Dez start to pressure Ally into writing a new song. Ally scribbles down Austin's new song lyrics in illegible handwriting due to being rushed and is super busy watching the store for her dad, who is going to the accordion convention. She has a huge book to read by the next day for her book club. Soon, Dez starts gathering strange props for the music video which he thinks correspond to her lyrics, like a kangaroo, caramel, a camel, and possibly a llama.
Meanwhile, Trish gets a job at the dry cleaners, where she borrows a championship jacket from a guy named Face Puncher for Austin's music video when she read Ally's handwriting wrong. The kangaroo Dez ordered begins to chew on the jacket, so it and Dez get in a tug-of-war, but they end up tossing the jacket in a bucket of caramel; something else Dez ordered. Now Trish and Ally have to work together to get the caramel out of the jacket, but they accidentally shrink it and turn it pink.Later, Austin is watching the store for Ally when Dez steps on the kangaroo's tail in the music room, causing the kangaroo to destroy everything in the music room. Martin, the mall maintenance man, enters to try to fix the window. He nervously says that it'll be hard to fix the window and that it's going to cost quite a lot of money. Martin wrote down the price and gave it to Trish who gives to Ally. Ally yelled at how expensive it is, resembling Martin. Back at the store, Austin complains that he wants the situation to be over so that they can get back to his video. Dez left a trail of mangoes, croutons, and fish sticks leading to the store. He implied it attracts kangaroos, unbeknownst it attracts llamas. Austin remembers that the camera the kangaroo has is synced to their computers, so they can see a live video and see where the kangaroo is at. The kangaroo is seen scaring the mall people until it stops at the food court. Ally sees this and Dez races there trying to catch the kangaroo. Trish walks in and tells Austin and Ally that she sold tickets for Austin's performance. Austin gets excited and leaves to go to practice. Trish then announces to Ally that people are really coming to see the kangaroo. Ally contemplates that Austin will be upset, so Trish says that he can't find out.
Trish is seen laughing at a live video of the Kangaroo attacking Dez. Ally is trying to make Austin's performance good by writing better lyrics. Ally is torn between telling Austin the truth or lying to spare his feelings.Austin is seen practicing in the music room when Ally comes in. He apologizes for giving her a hard time about writing the song. Dez finally catches the kangaroo. Austin then performs "A Billion Hits" to the populous. Despite that, Austin becomes popular.
Back at the Dry Cleaners, Ally tells Austin the truth that the fans were actually there to see the kangaroo. Nevertheless, they now know Austin anyway and he is perfectly fine by that. Trish reveals that Face Puncher's jacket is shrunk and pink. Face Puncher comes back a second later. Trish attempts to sell it anyway, leaving Face Puncher in grief. His daughter, Mad Dog, comes and assumes the jacket is for her. He decides to give it to her. Mad Dog sees Austin and is in awe of getting an autograph from him on her new jacket. Face Puncher also realizes that Dez was the one who ate the 20-lb. hamburger. Dez signs his shirt with ketchup, not knowing he didn't ask for an autograph. Face Puncher chases him around the store in anger.
Ally: Here's your change, here's your kazoo, the trumpets are over there, no this isn't the eye doctor.
Austin: It's pretty hard to forget Austin Moon
Girls: Hey! It's Ralphie Hayes from the dog food commercial!
Trish: Guess who got a job at the dry cleaners?
Ally: What happened to your job at the yo-yo cart?
Ally: The window!
Trish: The jacket!
Ally: If my Dad sees this mess, I'm toast.
Trish: And if we don't fix Face Puncher's jacket, I'm toast.
Ally: Dez, what are you doing?
Dez: Leaving a trail of mangoes, croutons, and fish sticks. Everybody knows that's how you attract kangaroos... No wait, that's how you attract a llama.
Trish: [Laughing] This is the best show I've ever seen!
Ally: What is it?
Dez: Wait, the jacket looks different.
Trish: Yeah, because it's shrunk and it's pink.
Austin: If you're going to punch anyone in the face, it should probably be me. Though I kinda need my face, so if you could punch me in, like, the shoulder, or the foot, or the hip, or even pull my hair.
Trish: It's a line in Ally's song! My Jacket's in the Lost And Found!
Ally: My Jacket? It says I like it. The line is 'I like it when you hang around'.
Dez: And someone's gonna have to mop up all this Trish poop!
Trish: Keep it up, and someone's gonna have to mop up all your freckles!
Ally: They came for the kangaroo, but they stayed for the Moon.
Austin: What do you mean?
- Ross Lynch as Austin Moon
- Laura Marano as Ally Dawson
- Calum Worthy as Dez Wade
- Raini Rodriguez as Trish De la Rosa
- Ross Lynch as Ralphie Hayes
- Andy Goldenberg as Martin
- Hollywood Yates as Face Puncher
- Emily Skinner as Mad Dog
- Kimmy Caruso as Teenage Girl
- Patrick J. Nicolas as Lead Guitarist
- This is the 1st episode to feature an animal.
- Trish gets hired at two jobs in this episode: the Yo-yo Cart and the Dry Cleaners.
- The episode title refers to the kangaroo that was meant to be used in the music video, and also all the chaos it brought.
- The song featured in this episode, was in the UK's Best Austin & Ally Song Countdown (by Laura herself), named "Austin & Ally: A Billion Hits", as one of the top 5.
- This episode premiered two days after Disney premiered Rockers & Writers in the US.
- There was another character in another Disney Channel show, Good Luck Charlie, named Mad Dog.
- A section of this episode was featured in the A Billion Hits music video.
- Ally's outfit for this episode was the same outfit she wore in the opening theme song, Can't Do It Without You.
- This is the episode with the most animals, featuring a kangaroo, a llama, and a camel.
- It's possible that Ally wrote down a curse word. Or at least just wrote a bad word.
- The teenage girl who inquired about the kangaroo before Austin's concert later played the shy girl getting therapy from Bennett James in the Dog with a Blog episode "The Parrot Trap."
- Trish could have quit instead of cleaning the jacket.
- The kangaroo couldn't have escaped because Austin was downstairs, but the kangaroo wasn't seen coming down the stairs.
To view the Kangaroos & Chaos transcript, click here.